Friday, February 6, 2009

We, Wii, Wheeeeee!

About two weeks ago, we got a Wii.

Now it should be stated that as a former computer nerd, I am not really all that interested in my children being all that interested in video games. Other than a couple that we HAD already...they'd never even SEEN them until about a year ago when we got an older Xbox and the Leggo Star Wars game. So while the Wii looked fun, I wasn't interested...

Until I heard about Wii Fit.

Now, if you've read my blog for very long, you know that my oldest daughter, Bean, has a hip condition (Legg Perthes-to view more of that journey look here and here) that keeps her from doing many normal kid exercises. I actually have to THINK about how much exercise she gets, as opposed to my other kids who I need to slow down. In winter, it's harder than ever.

Well, I saw the Wii Fit. I scoured google for any mention of it. I asked people on boards that I frequent. I wanted to know...does it REALLY give you an honest workout...I mean it's a board on the floor that you walk around and shift your weight, how much of a work out could you get? The more that I read, the more responses I got, the more I was sure this was just the thing. It was non-impact (or could be completely non-impact) and focused on your "core"...you know that abdominal area that supposed to be the most important area...and it focused on balance which is an area that could improve for ALL my kids.

So we went in search of the elusive Wii Console and the even MORE elusive Wii Fit with Balance Board. It took us a little over a week to find both.

It has been a hit. The girls start their day with the body check...it basically weighs them and shows them their center of balance...not a big deal to people with normal femoral heads...but pretty helpful for Bean to realize she's REALLY leaning to the right.

Then they do their "workout" which includes some light yoga, some light strength training, some pretty good aerobics (hula hooping is like, WOW, fer sure) and some really fun, really challenging balance exercises. Monkey Face likes the jogging best, the rest of it is too hard to understand what she is supposed to be doing...she can do the step a little, but the rest of it usually just makes her mad. Bear likes ALL the aerobic stuff...she's actually unlocked it all. Her current favorite is the rhythm boxing, but she is a hula hoop MASTER. And Bean? Well, Bean can not do the hula hoop at all...she just can't make a circle with her hips...but she is AWESOME at the Tilt Table balance exercise, she's great at the step and rhythm boxing and I think her very favorite two are the ski jump and the slalom.

Weird enough, I'm REALLY happy with it. This from the woman who swore that her children would NEVER be exposed to video games on a large scale. I love that they are moving their little bodies in a productive way, even when it's too cold and wet outside...I love to hear them giggle when they miss a ski jump and their little cyber character (Mii) rolls down the hill as a snow ball. I love that it gives them coins and I can say, "You can play until you have 30 coins, then it's time to turn it off"...

Oh, and I love Wii Sports that came with the console. It rocks. I can't THINK of the last time I went bowling or played tennis with my husband. Bubba and I can take a couple of frames or sets just cuz...and it's strangely dreamy.

Monkey Faces FAVORITE game, Boxing on Wii Sports...she was so fast for the first 5 opponents that now the Wii thinks she's a pro and gives her harder and harder opponents...Bubba and I sneak in with her Mii when she is not looking and lose so that the scale will come down enough for her to be able to beat them again...



Bear likes boxing too...I like Bear's Mii best. It's quintessential Bear...with little blond piggy tales and everything...makes me smile every time I see it.



And here is Miss Beanie on her advanced Step game. She's way better at it than I am, which is irritating because it proves once again that I truly AM the clumsiest person on the planet...



Look...it's a jogging team...uniforms and everything...



And, doesn't this look like my Dad?



Well I think it does...

See you around...

1 comment:

CrossView said...

We're getting closer to breaking down and getting one, too. The Wii Fit is the reason for us even considering it. But we don't have a good justification like you do! Glad to see all enjoying it!