Monday, April 6, 2009

The Hilarious Predicament of Skirts...


It's beginning to be spring here in Texas. This means some of the same things that it means in the rest of the country. Warmer temperatures and wild flowers are part of it indeed, but in Texas, we make these signs into a quartet of Ws by adding weather and WIND.

This story is REALLY about the wind.

Yesterday, we went to church, as is becoming our habit once again. Due to the warmer temperatures, both Beanie and I wore skirts. Because I help with the kid's song service, Bean and I left a little earlier than the rest of the family and so were alone.

Getting to the church was not that big a deal. I don't even think we noticed the wind much. But on the way home, because we were now a little later than the rest of the family (I also help with song service in the 2nd service...so Bubba takes the little girls home) we stopped to pick up take out for lunch and Bean WALKED into the store.

As she was getting out of the car, quite unexpectedly the wind blew right up Beanie's skirt. "WOOOOOOOOO", she squealed and clutched herself and then started laughing. I mean laughing so hard she could hardly walk especially with all the clutching of the skirt and the buffeting of the wind. Which, of course, got me gigglin'.

We finally got into the store...got the merriment under control and were standing calmly at the counter to order or pay or something (I truly forget at this point), when a man walked out the door behind us. The wind whipped in that open door and flipped BOTH of our skirts around...thankfully mine was longer so I mostly just got a draft...but there was Beanie, skirt flipping, squealing, clutching, blushing and now REALLY laughing because it'd happened to me, too. The man behind the counter lost it. Hilarity took over and reigned for close to a full minute...a really long time in a public place.

So hmmm...the moral of this story is ... Well, I don't know what it is. I should say that you shouldn't wear a skirt in the wind, but then the squeal comes back to my head..and the shrieks of laughter.

Maybe the moral is, you should ALWAYS get your 9 year old to wear a skirt in the wind...because it's funny, man...seriously funny.



See you around...

1 comment:

CrossView said...

THat's tooo funny! And there's nothing more infectious than a kid who gets the giggles! =D