Monday, July 15, 2013

Petulant Education

I'll bet you didn't know that I used to know a few things about computers.  I totally did.  Owned a company and everything.  People actually thought I was pretty smart on that stuff.

Well, I'm here to tell ya, children change EVERYTHING.   There was a time I could network everything from DOS to Windows 2000 and I could do it without a mouse...I was kind of a big deal.

Somewhere along the line, I decided to have kids...and the grey matter has never been quite the same.  Oh, I still remember odd things like counting in binary...determining a subnet mask...how to configure a VPN on Windows 95...how to set an IRQ in Windows 3.11 when the stinking network card conflicted with the sound card EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.  I remember so many key strokes that I can still figure out odd things in every software (ehem Microsoft product) I've ever owned.  So when I say, "I don't know NOTHING anymore" I hope that you'll understand that it really means, "I don't know NOTHING useful in my erstwhile chosen industry" and haven't for a very long time.

Hence the primary reason I HATE when operating systems change.  REALLY REALLY.  I owned and used at least two computers running Windows 95 well after the new century had come and gone and only grudgingly changed over to Windows 98 and Windows ME respectively when I simply couldn't BUY anything else anymore.  I Hated ME...but I dealt with Windows 98 for a very long time and it became my favoritest operating system because it ran on everything I used and was just so wonderfully compatible...sigh...those were the good old days.

Well, I have a really good friend who works FOR the great mother ship in the Seattle area.  (It's really very cool, I got to make TEA right in a Microsoft break room a few months ago.)


When my laptop started giving me fits, my friend offered to help me with Windows 7 (the OS I'd finally come to grips with) but he also advised me that Windows 8 was THE thing and I'd probably better deal with my issues and move on.

Sigh...

Today, I did it.  I got my new fancy schmancy laptop with Windows 8 and a touch screen to make it all better.

I will tell you...I don't like it.  Oh sure, it's fun to swish and swipe on the screen...but I can't find ANYTHING.  My poor friend...let's call him Seattle Irish, shall we?  I think the ding of my texts is starting to give him a twitch.  "Um, SI, WHERE'S the tool bar"..."How do I find search...OH OH, there it is"..."SI, SI, SI?  What about office...how does it work now".

It the process of all the setup...I decided that I must try to set up the camera which didn't seem to be working.  It really wasn't a big deal, because well, nothing really is anymore. (Kids these days, don't know how good they have it!!) But the girls were in the room watching T.V. and peppering me with questions and being grossed out by kissing and making the normal distracting ruckus that is that cacophony of my life.  It took me a while to realize what to touch to get the camera to record and STOP recording and figure out where the files were etcetera.  It also took me a couple of recordings to realize that I was indeed recording.  These children found this VERY funny.

Here is the reason that I can no longer care about computers.  Here is what they do if there is anything that resembles concentration going on.  These three ragamuffins are the sole reason for the IQ slide of Stackey.  Oh well.  At least I still know how to unplug a toilet...it's not nearly so glamorous as the TCP/IP stack, but it keeps us out of trouble...and they never EVER bug me while I do it.


In a true test of my patience, I can NOT get this video to load properly.  GGGGRRRRRAAARRRRGGHH!!  So anyway...here is the link...enjoy  (The girls "help" with the camera...YIKES.)
 
And in even better news... I can't get the link to work within the preview.  sigh.  (Until I figure it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wgVLoYlafU ... if that doesn't work, copy that sucker...or not...y'know...it's not that big a deal) 

Whatever!  I'm working on my devil-may-care attitude...how do you like it?

See ya around...

No comments: