Saturday, January 17, 2009

Ah January...

I love January.

It's like a whole new palette. I always want to try new and wonderful things...new and wonderful recipes...new and wonderful schedules...new and wonderful books. I'm a little too jaded for actual new year's resolutions...but it's still the time I think, "maybe I'll try this"

However, one of the main reasons that I love January is how quiet it is around here. We've just come off of a busy time with all the holidays, friends, family and church gatherings. The months before the holidays were filled with soccer, swimming and vacations hither and yon. All these activities really start right back up by mid-February. So January is like a deep breath in the middle of an otherwise busy year...well, I suppose that it's at the beginning, but you know what I mean.

For the last 3 years we've had a "RULE" for January. Here it is. We don't do NOTHING (fear for my children's language skills) outside of the house for the first 3 weeks of January. Now that isn't REALLY as harsh as it sounds. We have a family of homeschoolers that live 4 doors down from us that don't count in the exclusion because they are just outside our door...there are no plans necessary and no one to disappoint if we can't make it out to ride bikes. But overall, our entire purpose for being in January is getting back on track. Removing the distractions...Finding each other...settling attitudes that crop up every single time we are very busy.



So that's why all these pictures are of my kids slaving away on their school work. That's REALLY the most exciting thing we are doing in January...that and church. They really don't mind it all that much, I swear...(could these BE more staged?)




I just don't want to be voted MOST BORING BLOG of the year, YET.



See ya around...

1 comment:

CrossView said...

What a great idea!

And the pictures are great...