Wednesday, July 14, 2010

That Grandma is a GENIUS!!!

This week the big girls are in a "Worship Camp" at our new church. They are having a blast and there will be more on that later. But them being gone leaves something of a void for their littlest playmate. She misses them. A LOT.

So yesterday I said, "Alright Monkey Face, what do YOU want to do?" "I wanna paint! I wanna play with play-doh"...so, dutiful mother that I am, I put on my big girl pants and said, "ooooookaaay!" (Have I ever mentioned how little I LIKE to play play doh or paint?)

As we were playing play-doh (the slightly lesser of two evils in my mind)...it came to me...Grandma bought us some pre-made sugar cookies back in June when I was lamenting my skills as a cake decorator. She said, "We'll make these...you can practice...it'll be FUN". I, of course, had put said cookies in my fridge and had forgotten about them.

But as I sat there...cook cutter in hand...I looked at Grandma, and she looked at me...and almost without spoken word, we had a plan with a capital P. Off we went...me to prepare to roll out the cookies...her to fashion some kind of icing that Monkey Face could "paint" with.

And then we DID commence to baking SOME cookies...

Here she is mixing up our colors...


and here is Grandma's prized hand cookie...the one we practically had to draw lots for...


And this is what happens when *I'm* holding the camera and Grandma feels that there is a sub-standard cookie...(the role of grandmas has ever been thus)




Monkey Face is QUITE adept at sprinkling...well...it might be more "DUMPING" but she's really REALLY good at it... (note the close up...watch out Uncle Baker Madness...she's hot on your tail)


And THEN...a sweet friend, who was bringing the big girls back from church, agreed to come to our completely impromptu cookie party...and then allowed her children to EAT these beautiful, artificially colored, sugar bombs BEFORE they ate lunch...just because Monkey Face was excited to share.

There is nothing more wonderful to a 5 year old than 8 friends and family to show up and crow over cookies that you got to make and decorate with your momma and GRANDMA! Except maybe, a Daddy coming home from work and snatching up one of these beauties and pronouncing it terrific.

It really is a wonderful life.

See ya around...

2 comments:

Chef Scott said...

Awwww. Stackey that was a fun post :) diggin grammas camo apron... gramma Is a Genius! love and hugs :)

Phil Elliott said...

Oh what FUN it is to have a lovely day to appreciate a bit of semi-quiet. And it is true, my sis is a genius, ALWAYS has been!