Saturday, October 30, 2010

Preliminaries...



Yes, indeed, we ARE going camping.

We haven't been camping since the summer of 2002. That's when this picture was taken...Isn't she cute?


But you know what? I wanna. I used to love to camp. But then we moved here and the seasons for camping are so different than California...and then I was pregnant...and then had these nurslings...and then toddlers...and honestly we were too skeered to try to camp with littles. So we just fell out of the habit of thinking of camping as an option.

But, there is this opportunity to go camping coming up...and I wanna go.

So I had my girls learn to put up the tents this week. That's right, TENTS. It's sort of a long story.

I know you all believe my children to be little angels sent down from heaven to smile at you. That's not exactly true.



See, the leaving of the Grandma...well the preparing of the Grandma to leave really put my girls a little out-of-sorts...so the camping trip offered up a chance to learn a little team building...



They set up the purple tent 3 times...the first time was outside...but it was SO windy I was afraid we were setting up a flying experiment...so the other two times were set up in our play room...it just BARELY fit.



But they managed it...and by the time they were done, they were a team again...


Thank heaven, because I thought I was gonna have to pinch 'em...



Okay...but I promised to explain TENTS...

Well, you see we THOUGHT we were going to have buy another tent for the trip. I mean we maybe coulda squished into the purple tent. But then, as I was diggin out the rest of the gear, guess what I found...that I'd COMPLETELY forgotten that we owned...



And the process started all over again...


On the bigger tent they needed someone taller...ME...


You'll be pleased to know that we actually DID get a tent stake mallet...I refused to allow my meat tenderizer to be part of the camping gear...I mean what would I use when I next need to hammer a nail into the wall if it's packed with the camping stuff?


They are getting to be a pretty crack team of shelter builders...can't wait to use these new skills for real. Stay tuned.

See ya around...

No comments: