Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Way to go, Ahab!!!

This morning I woke up in one of those moods.  You know the type of mood I'm talking about, nothing is really wrong but nothing is really right either.  I call it a fighting mood...I could really use a good argument to settle me.  I couldn't find my get-up-and-go and those children...well, they were TALKING to me and stuff...who's got time for that?

But, of course, being an adult, I realized that I was the one in the mood.  Not the kids.  Not the dog.  I also realized there was no real reason for it.  So I told my very supportive friend, who told me to "Knock it off!" and "Get out of the house!"  Both excellent pieces of advise which I did NOT follow for pure cussed determination to stay miserable.

Fast forward to lunch time.  I was feeling MARGINALLY better about the world, having figured out a couple of things that had been bugging me, but still just kinda bitey.  Last week, when I had sweet tea for the  VERY first time in my life, I decided it would be a good idea to figure out how to make it.  So, being that I've lived in the south for a very long time, and it was coming on lunch time, and projects always help my mood, I thought that this was as good a time as any.

HA!  That's a bit of foreshadowing there...

So, I hauled out the step stool to climb up to get my sorely neglected sun tea jar off the wasteland that is the top of my fridge.  I've been meaning to clear off the top of my fridge for months.  All those big ol' things ended up up there.  My big ol' stock pot, my big ol' cake carrier, a couple of my big ol' jars.  And they rattle every time the ice machine does it's thing.  There were a couple of not as big of things up there too.

There were a couple of these bottles...

 

 
Have you ever noticed how far from the wall your average fridge with a power cord and water line has to be?  You know, until I climbed to the top of that step ladder, I'd never noticed.  Now take a moment to notice the circumference of that bottle right there...not the olive oil, the other one.  Now match those two measurements in your mind for a sec. 

When I got to the top of the ladder a couple of things registered all at once...first, all that vibration over all those months had had all those jars and bottles dancing ALL around...and second, that bottle right there was GOING TO FALL RIGHT NOW. 

Even as I reached for it, it slipped behind the fridge and hit the floor.  I expected a crash.  Even squinched my eyes up waiting...but the sound that came was much MUCH worse...like a water fall...or a high pressured hose spraying on metal.  I knew what happened...it had hit the water line on the way down.  BUT, there was all this stuff on the top of the fridge AND my fridge fits really tight in it's spot and it's heavy.  By the time we (the girls came running) got the stuff off the top of the fridge and the fridge moved (honestly Beanie was the turning point on that battle) and the water turned off, there was a good amount of water everywhere. 

It makes me laugh to think what a big ol' snoopy baby I'd been being in my head all morning.  When this all happened it took maybe 45 seconds for the girls to swing into gear, take direction and help.  Start to finish of the mop up took maybe a 1/2 hour.  AND the bottle did NOT break...I guess the water line cushioned the blow.  After the clean-up I got to figure out how to replace the water line.  I know it's simple, but I totally did it AND, more importantly, it doesn't leak.  I claim victory.

Have I mentioned how much I love my wet / dry vac?  Seriously a life saver on, now, SEVERAL occasions.  Bear loves it, too...one of the lives saved was hers...

 

 
 
I suppose it could have happened at any time, but I kinda needed it today.  Kinda deserved it, if you know what I mean.  It knocked the cussedness right out of me, and thank goodness.  I'm also SO thankful that it didn't happen in the middle of the night or when we were out of town.
 
Lesson learned...nothing on top of the fridge that could actually slide behind the fridge. Notice I didn't say, clean off the top of the fridge completely, that's a lesson for another day, my friend.
 
But also, when you are feeling like a fight and you are determined to stay in your mood...get ready. It might not come in the form you would expect, but there is ABSOLUTELY a fight coming your way.  Possibly you should let it go before the cosmos decides to drop a bottle on your water line. See, I suppose I could have just gone outside and happied up.  But that wouldn't have been nearly the story.
 
Oh, and in the end, I did get the chance to try and fail once on my quest for the world's best sweet tea.  I am officially one step closer. Tremble in fear ye champions of Sweet Tea!!!
 
See ya around...

No comments: