Monday, March 30, 2009

I never thought that I'd be so happy to see SASS!

Well, today marks 24 days from that most terrible day and 11 days since we've been home from the hospital...and I really think that I can say that Sarah-Bean is better.

Now, I need to qualify that better.

She is still sleeping a lot. I've made her lay down with me every day since we've been home...at first it was because I needed the nap, now it's because if I don't lay there, she won't close her eyes. Once she closes her eyes she is out for a couple of hours. This is out of what used to be the norm for Beanie. Perhaps this will settle when she finally catches up on her sleep or maybe this is just how her body is healing right now. I'm okay with it as long as I keep seeing the increased mobility AFTER her nap...and I am seeing that right now.

She still gets sore much more quickly than was normal in the past. She still gets cranky BEFORE she realizes that she is sore, but that cycle is pretty common place so at least I can see it coming.

I think the worst part for me is that she's really not ASKING to go out to play right now. She used to ask me many MANY times every day to go play...and I used to have to gauge how she was feeling, what the weather was like, who she was playing with, what time of day...oh and if the moon was in the 7th house...and then tell her yes or no. Now, she might ask once, if it's bright and sunny...so that is different and not better.

BUT...she is SO much better. We finally went to church again yesterday. She was able to get completely dressed except for her shoes and socks...she still can't reach her right foot. She also ARGUED with me that she didn't want to take the wheel chair...that she wanted to walk...um No. She ARGUED with me that she wanted to take the OLD wheel chair instead of the pink one for some odd reason known only to 9 year olds...again I said, "No." She TRIED to manipulate me with tears. Tears, over something silly, as we are trying to walk out the door is one of her favorite old past-times. She tried it long enough that I pulled out my old stand-by, "Knock if off or you are staying home!"

She's baaa-aaack!!! Praise the Lord!!

It says in the bible, in Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!

You know, I NEVER thought I'd rejoice in the sass. Weirdly enough, the Lord gave me back my girl during that 3 minutes of strife.

I don't know how long it'll take to get used to this new normal. I don't know that we'll have to get used to it...maybe she'll go back to her old Legg Perthes normal, she's making such strides right now. But normal, in whatever form, is returning, praise the Lord.

And she should get a chance to practice that attitude a lot because school starts today. Nothing brings out the angst in a 9 year old quicker than math or a writing assignment. Think I'll pull out both today, just for the fun of watching the show.

See ya around...

1 comment:

CrossView said...

"Normal" is so underrated! LOL! Glad you all are having some doses of it....